Learn how to clean a sponge to keep germs away. We are going to show you how to clean a sponge easily in one step.
How to clean a sponge
As many of you know, I am all about making life easy. From my number one stain remover tip to my EASY stove top cleaner, I like to make things easy around here. The one thing I HATE but need in the kitchen is my kitchen sponge.
However, if you think about the wet sponge sitting there day after day just filled with germs, is it really getting your dishes clean with harmful bacteria? We are going to show you how to fix that problem in one easy step.
You will not have to worry anymore about the percent of bacteria or the nastiness of your sponge. Plus, it could not be any easier.
I absolutely love saving time and money. It is a win all around for my family. Let’s get started with this easy cleaning tip.
How to clean a sponge easily
- Place your dirty sponge in the top rack of your dishwasher whenever you run it. For my family, we run our dishwasher every night so in the top rack the sponge goes. The soap and the heat from your dishwasher will help eliminate all the germs that collect in your sponge.
- Make it even easier by having two kitchen sponges. If you have two sponges, you keep one in the dishwasher and one in the sink.
- Then every time you unload the dishwasher, out comes the clean one and in goes the dirty one. Just allow it to air dry. You will never have to deal with a nasty sponge again.
- I definitely suggest making sure you have more than one sponge on hand. It really helps to be able to alternate between the clean and dirty sponge. This way you will never be without a clean one to use.
Why I put my sponges in the dishwasher?
If you search the internet, you will find a ton of different ways to sanitize your kitchen sponge, but I have found this to be the easiest and most effective way.
Now you can do this easy trick on any sponge you buy. Amazon has some very nice kitchen sponges here. You can even buy a pack of eco friendly ones for just $1 at the dollar stores.
It seriously is the easiest and the BEST way to sanitize and you hardly have to work at all to clean a kitchen sponge. You can rest assured the germs are gone.
Just toss it in and let the dishwasher do all of the work. This is probably the easiest tip ever.
More ideas to try to clean sponges:
- Fill a container with white vinegar.
- Soak sponges overnight in the full strength vinegar.
- Take them out of the container and squeeze any excess vinegar out.
- Let the sponges air dry and use as normal.
- Put the sponge in the microwave.
- Microwave for one minute. This is enough time to kill bacteria.
- Allow to air dry and use as normal.
Either of these options are good alternatives to using your dishwasher. I prefer to just place the sponge in the dishwasher but if you don’t have one, give these ideas a try.
Whatever option you choose, will work to keep your house sufficiently clean and germ free.
Give this a try.
You can rest assured that what you are cleaning dishes or wiping down containers with is sanitized. No one wants to spread more germs around.
Try this today to save money from having to buy excess cleaning supplies. I think you will love how simple and easy it is.
Come back and leave a comment once you try it so we know how it worked for you. I think you will love these easy tips and tricks.