Garland makes your home so festive for Christmas. This DIY Christmas garland is perfect for the mantle or anywhere you need a festive touch. Plus, it’s so easy to make even the kids can help.
DIY Christmas Garland
Get the entire family involved and make this adorable Christmas Garland. This holiday garland is so easy that even the kids can make it!
I love crafts that the entire family can get involved in. The memories you make are so special and will be cherished for many years to come!
How to Make Christmas Garland
The base of this garland is just an inexpensive garland. I grabbed the garland from Walmart for about 2 bucks.
You could check the dollar store as well, just make sure the garland can be taken apart. You could also use an old Christmas tree and cut off the limbs with diagonal cutters if you have one at home.
How to decorate a Christmas garland?
The decorations are Salt Dough Ornaments that are really easy to make. I like to make a batch of Christmas ornaments for the garland and also for the tree.
Such a fun activity for the family to do together! It’s so important to spray them with a clear spray paint that will seal them.
You can use any brand you like but I have had good success with Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel. This will protect the ornaments.
Let’s get started with these DIY Christmas Garland Ideas!
Garland adds such a special touch this holiday season. From Christmas lights and pine garland to ribbon and artificial Christmas garland, there are lots of fun ideas to deck the halls!
Get the family involved in these DIY Christmas holiday garlands to decorate your home. It is so simple and festive to make Christmas decor with these fun Christmas tree decorating ideas!
Materials needed for Holiday Garland:
- Faux Green Garland
- Jute Twine
- Red Fabric
- Red Gingham Fabric
- Salt Dough Ornaments (without a hole in the center)
- Acrylic Paint
- Clear Spray Sealer ( I like Rust-Oleum)
- Hot Glue & Hot Glue Gun
How to Make your own Christmas Garlands:
1. Once your salt dough ornaments are dry, paint them with acrylic paint. I used a mustard yellow for the star, red and white paint for the candy cane and a dark and tree green for the Christmas trees.
2. For the Christmas tree painting technique, paint the tree the lighter green. Then add watered down dark green acrylic paint to your brush and swipe a few strokes to look like pine needles.
3. Once painted ornaments are dry, seal with a clear sealer/clear coat spray paint. Let set to dry completely.
4. Cut strips of fabric about 1″ wide x 8″ in length.
5. Use pliers to unwrap the starting end of the green garland. My wires were twisted together, so I untwisted them and began to unwrap the garland. At this point I was able to remove the greens from the wire. Set greens aside.
6. Measure where you plan to hang your garland. Add about 12″ to your measurement to allow for the knot. Knot one end of your jute twine with a slip knot and tie four strips of fabric onto the jute twine, alternating patterns. My fabric is about 1″ apart, if not a little more.
7. Add 1 green to the jute twine by wrapping it around the twine once to secure. Repeat this process until you have the twine completely covered.
8. I like to hang my twine and make adjustments as necessary. Adjust the greens by bending the ends and making sure they hang the way you want them to. While the twine is hanging, I add hot glue to the back of my ornaments and attach to the greens of the twine. This way I can ensure the ornaments face front and hang correctly.
Now that you know how to make Christmas garland with ribbon, it is so easy!
How to make a Christmas garland for fireplace?
I like to space the ornaments between the ribbon so it hangs well on the mantle. You don’t want it to be too heavy.
Tip for hanging DIY Christmas Garland:
I attach my garland to my fireplace mantel with command hooks. These little hooks are so handy for lots of things!
This Holiday Garland is so simple and inexpensive to make!
You are going to love how it turns out! Your home will look so festive and stunning with this garland hung on the mantle!
This is one of our favorite homemade Christmas garland ideas!
Let us know how your Christmas Garland turns out!
The kids will love helping make the salt dough decorations and putting this garland together!
Find 20 easy Christmas centerpieces ideas that are easy to make and budget.
Christmas is just around the corner and we have a free Christmas coupon book printable that allows you to give the gift of thoughtfulness.
Try some of these other great garland ideas!
If you are looking for Hot Chocolate Gift Ideas, learn how to make a Hot Cocoa Ornament that is such a thoughtful and practical gift!
Christmas decorations don’t have to break the bank this year, because you can make your own with these DIY Christmas wreath ideas! Decorate your door this holiday season with a fun and festive Christmas wreath!
More Homemade Christmas garland ideas for kids:
Find more ideas here for the holidays:
- DIY Christmas Burlap Wreath
- DIY Christmas Garland
- Mason Jar Christmas Centerpiece Ideas
- Christmas Porch Ideas to Inspire You
- How to Decorate a Christmas Tree on a Budget
- Non Toy Christmas Ideas for Kids
- Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub
- Vanilla Peppermint DIY Foot Scrub
- How to Declutter your Home for the Holidays
- 25 of the BEST Christmas Gifts for Teen Boys
- 8 Secrets to a Debt Free Christmas
- Don’t Miss- The Best Christmas Books for Kids!
- Christmas Storage Ideas
- DIY Christmas Garland
- How to make a Snow Globe
- Sock Snowman Craft