Learn how to make crayons shaped like mermaid tails! This DIY is so simple to make. The kids are going to go crazy over these fun mermaid crayons.
Kids will love these fun and whimsical Mermaid shaped crayons. They are going to be such a big hit.
They look super fancy but really it’s a great way to use broken and unwanted crayons. Let the kids help and everyone will have a blast.
These homemade crayons would also make great party favors. This is such a fun and original idea.
Let’s learn how to make crayons.
It’s very simple and I love that I can use broken crayons I have around the house.
You will need to get an oven safe mermaid silicone mold to make the mermaid crayons. They are inexpensive and work great.
Materials for homemade Mermaid crayons:
- Crayola crayons (or use broken crayons you already have at home)
- Oven safe mermaid silicone mold
- Extra fine glitter
- Cookie sheet– (if you are worried about the crayons spilling, grab a cheap cookie sheet at the dollar store!)
- Oven Mitt
How to make crayons shaped like mermaid tails:
- Step 1. Peel the crayon wrapper off and preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Make sure all of the paper is off of the crayons.
- Step 2. Sprinkle a little glitter into your molds. This is such a fun step and helps to give the crayons a beautiful finish once baked.
- Step 3. Break the crayons in several pieces. Place into the mermaid tails a few of the same colored crayons at a time so it will have an ombré look once you melt wax.
- Step 4. Place your silicone molds onto a baking sheet and place in a preheated 250° oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to check halfway through to see if they’ve completely melted.
- Step 5. Carefully remove the pan with an oven mitt. Place on the stove until cool and then transfer to the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Step 6. Carefully stretch out the sides of the mold and pop your crayons out. They should easily come right out. The silicone makes it so easy.
Mermaid Tails Crayons are so simple to make.
The results are stunning! The glitter really adds to the ombre effect. I just love these adorable crayons.
It is so easy to make homemade crayons and they are a blast to play with too.
How to store:
You can store the crayons in ziplock bags or containers. Either option will work just fine. If you plan to give these as gifts or party favors, I suggest storing them in bags and handing them out.
Can you melt crayons in the microwave?
Crayons can be melted in the microwave as long as you use a silicone pan or other microwave safe materials. The crayons will take approximately 3 minutes to melt.
This should be completed in intervals stirring after every minute.
Tip for making Mermaid tails crayons:
- Cookie Sheet. If you are concerned about using your good cookie sheets and the crayons spilling, you can get an inexpensive pan at the dollar store.
I actually have several dollar store cookie sheets that I keep with my craft supplies. I don’t worry about the kids getting craft supplies on them and love knowing it was inexpensive.
- Remove paper. Make sure to remove all of the paper off of the crayons. There shouldn’t be any remaining.
- Carefully remove crayons. Gently fold back the mold and the crayons should pop right out.
Perfect for a party.
These adorable little crayons are perfect for a Mermaid themed party. You can give these as a party favor. Kids will love them.
I think it would be fun to pair the crayons with a coloring book or drawing pad. This would most definitely be a fun and practical favor idea.
Kids will love this and it is very inexpensive. Try this idea for a non candy alternative at parties. It is so cute and provides tons of fun.
More mermaid party ideas:
- Mermaid Plates, Napkins and more!
- Mermaid Party Pack
- Mermaid Centerpieces
- Mermaid Tablecloths
- Mermaid Banner Birthday Sign
Pick up a few other of these fun party supplies for an awesome Mermaid themed party. Everything will come together for the cutest party and everyone will have a blast.
Those are too pretty to use!