Brown rice is so good for you, but often people tend to stick with the white rice. In fact… we have been guilty of it too. Forget the boxed rices (unless you get them for cheap $.50 a box) – buy the brown rice in the bags and cook it from scratch. It is CHEAPER and it is actually healthier for you. And learn how to season brown rice.
First make sure you check out how to freeze rice so you can have it ready in minutes.
Ok… back to my original point of writing. Brown rice can be a bit boring especially if you eat it as often as my family. However, with just an extra ingredient… or two your rice can really come to life!
How to Season Brown Rice:
- Add in Garlic salt (This is our all time favorite!) – So easy and really bumps up the flavor.
- Add in a bouillon cube or granules when you cook the rice for extra flavor.
- Mix in some salsa and some cumin for a tex-mex taste.
- Add an egg and fry it for a healthier fried rice.
- Add butter and lots of pepper – our neighbors make this pepper rice and it is GOOD!
- Mix some black beans with it (another family favorite)
- Mix in some pico or just plain chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
- A Dash of Soy sauce (don’t use too much)
- a Dash of Tabasco sauce or Taco sauce mixed in is good.
- Sprinkle with salt and Parmesan cheese. This is an odd combination but very good.
- Mix in some cheddar cheese for cheesy rice (not healthy but still good)
- After it is cooked sprinkle with apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar for a slightly sweet taste.
- Add ground beef and make it a one pot meal.
- Mix in Sliced Sausage for another easy one pot meal.
- Mix in some cilantro and a splash of lime juice for a very fresh tasting rice.
Save money and save your health by sticking with brown rice.
As you can see you can season rice with almost anything.After you start eating it regularly you will actually find yourself preferring brown rice over white.
Healthy food doesn’t have to cost you a fortune, and it definitely doesn’t have to taste bland either.
Brown Rice Cooking – How to easily cook brown rice:
There are several easy ways to cook brown rice from in the microwave, to on the stove top, and in the rice cooker. To be honest… my favorite way to cook brown rice is in the crock pot. Crock pot rice is so easy to make and I love how I can just set it and forget it. 🙂
Brown Rice Recipes:
I thought now that you have this tasty and frugal side dish I thought I would show you what to cook with rice. Here are a few of my favorite recipes: