I just love homemade welcome sign for my front porch. When we moved into our new house, I knew I wanted one, but I didn’t want to buy one at the store. I mean, how hard can it be to make? Maybe hard enough that I asked for a little bit of help. 😉
We are lucky enough to be friends and neighbors with a wood worker who was happy to show us all how to make a homemade welcome sign. After you read this tutorial, I am sure you’ll have the confidence to make this yourself. This makes such a great piece to any front porch.
- (1) 4″ x 4″ piece of pine (about 1″ thick)
- (2) 6″ x 6″ pieces of pine
- (1) 8″ x 8″ piece of pine
- 4″ x 4″ treated fence post, cut to 36″
- Titebond Premium Wood Glue
- 1-1/2″ Galvanized Nails
- hook for sign
- Glue a 6″ x 6″ piece of pine to one end of the fence post. Use your tape measure to make sure the piece of pine is centered. Use 2 nails to secure in place. Repeat on the other end of the fence post.
- Pick an end of your fence to be the bottom and glue the 8″ x 8″ piece of pine to the 6″ x 6″ piece of pine. Use the tape measure to make sure its centered and then secure with 4 nails (be mindful of where you placed your 2 nails in the 6″ x 6″ piece of wood).
- For the top of your fence post, glue the 4″ x 4″ piece of wood to the 6″ x 6″ piece, making sure its centered. Press firmly and allow the glue to dry. No nails are used in this piece as you don’t want nail heads showing in the top of your finished project.
- Paint this your desired color and add a hook of your choice (I like this one) about 6″ from the top of the finished post.
- **If you are a really handy person (or know one), you can router the pieces of pine before assembly. When putting everything together, make sure all of the routered pieces of wood are facing the top of the post.
- ** To make the sign to hang, I used a piece of pine that was about 6″ x 12″. I painted it with chalk board paint, drilled a couple of holes in the corners and added some twine as a hanger.
I love this homemade welcome sign so much! It is so versatile because I can write anything I want on the sign. I love adding birthday and special holiday messages throughout the year. I love using my chalk markers for my sign so I can remove it easy but it holds up longer than regular chalk. I also love that it is so easy and inexpensive to make.
Make this homemade welcome sign for yourself and have fun decorating your front porch!
Find more frugal DIY projects here.