Make this DIY last name sign for less than $10. This easy pallet craft idea is super easy and turns out amazing.
DIY last name sign
Don’t you just love all the cool things you see on Pinterest that you can make from a pallet? I know I do. This pallet craft idea is gorgeous and a great gift idea.
My sister asked for a name sign to go in her dining room above her China cabinet. Now, you can buy signs and have your family’s name put on them but it can get expensive.
We were on a tight Christmas budget, so we got creative and came up with a VERY awesome family sign made from a Pallet.
Being on a budget forces you to get creative. The best ideas often stem from this and pallet signs are so pretty.
Let’s make this DIY last name sign.
It really is so simple and a lot of fun to make. I think you will absolutely love it.
What you need:
- A Pallet. You can also use a wooden sign.
- Your family name in Vinyl. I had a friend cut ours, but you can make one by using a Cricut machine or a Sillouhette Cameo machine. Sometimes you can also purchase svg cut files for design ideas. Also, you can use acrylic paint if you prefer with a stencil instead of vinyl.
- Small Nails. We already had these but they are very inexpensive if you need to buy some.
- a Hanger to hang it with picture wire. We bought ours at Walmart but any craft store will have these.
- a saw. You will need this to cut down the pallet wood.
You can make this sign in just a few easy steps.
How to make family name sign idea:
1. First, take apart your pallet. This is actually a lot easier than you think. This tutorial shows you how simple it is.
2. Second, cut it down to size if you need to and decide how many pieces of wood you want. We used 4 because we wanted it to be big.
3. Then, cut down another strip from the pallet to use on the back as braces. Nail this on the back to connect all the pieces of wood.
We didn’t use any glue, because we didn’t want it to look perfect. Remember, it is a pallet – we want it to be uneven and imperfect.
We are going for the rustic look with this wall décor. We left our pallet natural but you can stain or paint these to suit your taste and preference.
4. Now you will want to add the hanger on the back. I forgot to take a picture of this step but this is easy. We used a picture hanger with a picture wire. Sine it is wood, we wanted a substantial hanger on it.
5. Next, it is time for the Vinyl to go on. This will take some patience if you are doing a bigger piece like we were, but the patience will pay off.
It will look amazing. Another idea is to add an established sign under the family name. For example, established 2007 or whatever year applies.
You can use any color you prefer for the vinyl. It is easy to match your home or décor style. Just use your favorite color.
6. Finally, now that you are done, you just need to hang the wood sign. If you want the wall art to last even longer, then consider putting a sealer over the vinyl and the wood to avoid any peeling. Mod podge can also be used.
Pallet Craft idea cost:
In total, this pallet sign cost less than $10 for my family to make it. If you have your own machine to cut out the words you could make it even cheaper. You could also consider stenciling it on with paint for a slightly different look.
If you have a steady hand and enjoy painting, this might be an option to making these signs. Feel free to do what is easiest for you. There isn’t a wrong way or right way to do these.
You can easily modify the project for what suits you. This project is so easy for beginners and anyone can make this.
If you don’t want to make a name sign, you can add any inspirational quote to the pallet board for another great sign:
As you can see, the ideas are endless. Now, whenever I see these pricey signs in the store, I can’t believe how high they are.
It is so simple to make and they look fabulous. You can easily make these for gifts. I think they would make a wonderful gift for Christmas, birthdays, Mother’s Day and much more.
Everyone will love a personalized sign and it will definitely be a special gift. Everyone in the family will want one, once they see how beautiful it turned out.
The next time you are on a tight budget and need a gift, try making one of these beautiful pallet signs for wall decor. It is such a great example of not having to spend a fortune to have a pretty home.
This family name sign idea is so easy.
Now that I have made one for my sister, we are going to make one for our Dining room too. I can’t wait to show you. This only took about 2 hours to make from start to finish.
It didn’t take much time, but it looks amazing and it was very cost effective for home decor.
The savings is significant and you get a really nice sign for your home. Don’t pay tons of money at the store for these signs. You can easily make one at home for your living room or anywhere you prefer.
Once you get the hang of it, you might want to start making some for gifts. This diy family name sign is really easy and looks so rustic and pretty. Anyone can decorate on a limited budget with these fantastic ideas.
Find some pallets and get started today.
So… are you going to try to make one for your family?
Let us know how your sign turns out once you make it. It is going to turn out great.
More ideas for the home:
- DIY Blanket Ladder
- How to Make Fabric Wreath – 10 Minute Scrap Fabric Wreath
- Homemade Welcome Sign for your front porch
- How to make burlap wreath
- 20 easy DIY Farmhouse decor