Don’t you just love all the cool things you see on Pinterest that you can make from a pallet? I know I do! My sister asked for a name sign to go in her dining room above her China cabinet. You can buy signs and have your family’s name put on them but it can get expensive. We were on a tight Christmas budget, so we got creative and came up with a VERY awesome family sign made from a Pallet!
Here is what you need:
- A Pallet
- Your name in Vinyl (I had a friend cut ours, but you can make one by using a Cricut machine or a Sillouhette Cameo machine)
- Small Nails (already had)
- a Hanger to hang it with picture wire (we bought ours at Walmart)
- a saw to cut down the pallet wood
You can make this sign in just a few easy steps.
How to make your Family Sign from a Pallet:
1. Take apart your pallet. This is actually a lot easier than you think. Here is a good tutorial.
2. Cut it down to size if you need to and decide how many pieces of wood you want. We used 4 because we wanted it to be big.
3. Cut down another trip from the pallet to use on the back as braces. Nail this on the back to connect all the pieces of wood. We didn’t use any glue, because we didn’t want it to look perfect. Remember, it is a pallet – we want it to be uneven and imperfect. We are going for the rustic look.
4. Now you will want to add the hanger on the back. I forgot to take a picture of this step but this is easy. We used a picture hanger with a picture wire. Sine it is wood, we wanted a substantial hanger on it.
5. Now it is time for the Vinyl to go on. This will take some patience if you are doing a bigger piece like we were, but the patience will pay off. It will look amazing.
6. Now that you are done, you just need to hang it. If you want it to last even longer, then consider putting a sealer over the vinyl and the wood to avoid any peeling.
In total this cost less than $10 for my family to make it. If you have your own machine to cut out the words you could make it even cheaper. You could also consider stenciling it on with paint for a slightly different look.
If you don’t want to make a name sign, you can add any inspirational quote to the pallet board for another great sign:
Now that I have made one for my sister, we are going to make one for our Dinning room too! I can’t wait to show you. This only took about 2 hours to make from start to finish. It didn’t take much time, but it looks amazing and it was very cost effective.
So… are you going to try to make one for your family?