Homemade Lotion is simple to make and will leave dry hands feeling smooth and moisturized. This is the best homemade lotion.
I’m so excited to share with you this homemade hand cream. My hands get so dry especially in the colder months and from doing dishes.
I decided to make my own homemade hand cream. It seems like all the hand creams out there just relieve your hands temporarily but they never actually help heal the hands.
This natural lotion isn’t like that at all. It actually helps heal the hands and it is super easy to make. I think it works better than store bought lotion and it is great for all skin types.
Dry skin will be a thing of the past and this lotion will leave skin feeling amazing. Let’s get started making DIY Lotion.
The best homemade lotion you can make.
I have tried a few different lotion recipes and this is by far the best hand lotion that you can make. It smells amazing and it has very little ingredients. This also makes it ideal if you are trying to save money.
Sunflower oil helps to calm skin. This is particularly helpful for already dry skin that is easily irritated. The shea butter in the lotion isn’t greasy and leaves skin perfectly soft.
You might consider making this for gifts. Anyone that gardens a lot or works with their hands often suffers from dry hands.
This is the best hand cream to solve that problem. The cream is also perfect for dry elbows and feet.
You might also want to try DIY Shaving Cream for Women. It’s so moisturizing!
- 3 ounces Shea butter. We recommend this because it does not leave skin greasy like some ingredients.
- 1 tablespoons organic sunflower oil. This will sooth dry skin.
- 10 drops therapeutic grade lavender essential oil. Lavender is calming.
- 10 drop therapeutic grade vanilla essential oil. Vanilla smells soft and wonderful.
- Clean 4 oz jar (Amazon has several on sale) Make sure it is clean and dry before using.
How to make Homemade Lotion:
- Step 1. Measure and scoop your Shea butter into a large glass measuring cup. Make sure the container is large enough for the supplies and to combine them thoroughly.
- Step 2. Add in your sunflower oil. Combine everything together.
- Step 3. Set in the fridge for about 30 minutes or until hardened. I usually check it about 20 minutes to see how it looks and what consistency it is.
- Step 4. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to whip your mixture for about 15 minutes. It will turn into a wonderful mixture that is soft and creamy.
- Step 5. Add in essential oils and mix again. We used lavender and vanilla for a delicious smelling combination. Feel free to use your favorites.
- Step 6. Transfer to a clean jar 4oz jar. It is important to thoroughly wash and dry the jar before placing the lotion mixture inside. Any particles or dirt inside will alter the shelf life of the lotion.
How to store homemade hand cream:
Store the homemade hand cream inside an airtight container. You can use glass jars you already have. We love to repurpose items to save money.
Small mason jars are perfect to use to store homemade lotion. The small sizes are perfect to use for gifts. Everyone will love and appreciate such a useful present.
The lotion can be stored at room temperature unless you live in a warm climate or your home is very warm. If that is the case, you can store it in the fridge.
How long will homemade lotion last?
This type of lotion will last up to 8 months. The lotion will have the longest shelf life if stored properly in a good container. Also, make sure hands are clean before placing in the container to get lotion.
We use this often so ours does not last that long. The entire faimly uses it so we go through a lot. If you have a large family or plan to use this often, you might want to double the recipe.
- Essential Oils. You can change the type of essential oils for it to have different scents. Some of our favorites include: Myrrh, Cedarwood, geranium, lavender and sandalwood.
- Coconut oil. We used sunflower oil but you can try other types of oil. You can also use sweet almond oil.
- Cocoa butter. Substitute cocoa butter for shea butter in this recipe. Both will provide moisturized skin and make a great lotion.
- Double the recipe. You can easily double the recipe. It really isn’t anymore work and you can share with a friend or just have more to use.
There are many ways to change this lotion and multiple variations. Feel free to adapt this recipe for what you have on hand or prefer.
It is a great base recipe everyone will enjoy. These variations are fun to try and experiment with. Leave a comment and let us know which variations you play to try for this lotion.
Make this natural lotion today.
I told you it was super easy to make. This natural lotion smells amazing and feels so great on your hands. I can’t wait for you to try this homemade hand cream.
This hand cream is so thick and luxurious that it reminds me of body butter. It is simply amazing.
The entire DIY only has a handful of ingredients. You do not need a lot of extras to make this work.
Look at the ingredient list of store bought hand creams and lotion products. They all have a laundry list of ingredients.
We love to make our own products and feel more comfortable knowing what is going into the cream. This easy recipe for lotion will quickly hydrate skin and leave it so soft.
Do I melt the Shea butter you did not say so
I did. I added the shea butter with the beeswax and melted them all together in the microwave. Thanks!
Bees wax? I don’t see bees wax in the recipe. Confusing.
I use 2 tsp of beeswax for this recipe. It’s the first ingredient listed. Thanks.