Make this easy DIY Spider Costume for the kids for Halloween. They will be so impressed with how it turns out. It’s also very frugal to make.
Chenea was nice enough to share how she made these adorable spider costumes and how easy it is for you to do it too!
Check out our full list of other Homemade Halloween Costumes for kids here.
Diy Spider Costume
A couple of years ago I had no idea what my boys were going to dress up as. Halloween was quickly approaching and I was about to start panicking!
Finally, one night around the dinner table someone said, “How about spiders?” My first thought – we don’t really do “scary” or “creepy” costumes.
Of course, realizing having 6 year old and a 2 year old, it would be hard to agree on a common theme, so I decided to go for it!
Much to my surprise (and relief) these spider costumes turned out way easier and cuter than I thought they would. The boys all had a blast showing off their spider costumes and they were super comfortable for them to wear.
All told, I spent about $8-10 per costume. Can you believe that? So frugal for a Halloween costume.
Of course you can purchase spider costumes on Amazon. However, they are much more expensive.
I spotted many spider costumes for $20 or more! Make your own instead for only $8!
This DIY Spider Costume for boy or girl is budget friendly.
How to Make a Spider Costume
- Black sweat pants and black sweat shirt (crew neck) (You can also use a black shirt if you prefer)
- 3 pairs of black dress socks (preferably nylon men’s socks)
- fiber fill (stuffing for socks/spider legs)
- colorful felt for spider markings
- black thread & black ribbon (or black pipe cleaner)
Note- You can get some of these items at the dollar store for Spider Costume Child DIY.
How to make Toddler Spider Costume:
- Stuff 6 black socks with fiber fill. You can stuff them loosely. If you stuff them too densely, they will be too heavy and pull down too much on the sweatshirt. Yes, I know spiders have 8 legs – you only stuff 6 socks because the other 2 legs will be your kiddos’ arms. 😉
- With the sweatshirt laying face down, set your stuffed legs on the back of your sweatshirt. Simply spread them out, 3 facing one way and 3 facing the other. When you are happy with your legs, tack them down with needle and thread.
- To make your kiddos’ arms work in conjunction with the spider legs I used thin (1/8″ inch) black ribbon. Attach one end of the ribbon to the wrist of the sweatshirt. I used a needled and thread and made sure it was very secure. Let about 4-5″ of ribbon out and then attach it to the first ‘leg’ (I simply tied the ribbon around the leg with a couple of knots). Repeat until all of the legs are attached.
- Finally, pick some brightly colored felt for a spider-like design for the back of the sweatshirt. This is not necessary, but I wanted something to cover the place on the sweatshirt where I tacking down the socks/legs. I just looked online and my hubby drew up a little pattern on paper. I then cut out the felt using the pattern. I hand-stitched the felt to the sweatshirt, but you could just as easily use hot glue.
Give this Spider Costume DIY a try.
Tip for No Sew Spider Costume:
It seems I always need more glue than I realize. It’s not fun to run out mid project…..
That is it!!
I had these done in one night and my boys loved them! I think their favorite part of wearing the costume was walking up to people and then raising their arms!
This Kid Spider Costume DIY is so easy!
Since the legs are all attached, when they raised their arms, the legs raised, too. It was really pretty cute. 😉
Fun idea for Homemade Spider Costume:
This is so easy to expand for larger families or adapt for families with girls. Why not make your little princess a pink or sparkly spider?
That would be just adorable!
This easy spider costume to make for kids is so fun.
Now that you know how to make spider costume, it’s so easy!
The kids will love it. It’s budget friendly and sure to be a hit.
Plus, it is just so cute.
You could even make a DIY spider costume for adults!
Find even more DIY Costumes:
- Homemade Laffy Taffy Costume
- How to Make a Referee Costume
- How to Make and Easy Golfer Costume
- How to Make a Green Army Solider Costume
Check out our other fun, frugal and easy DIY Halloween ideas here.
Check out our full list of Homemade Halloween Costumes for kids here.
Make sure you check out our other frugal Halloween posts:
- The 10 Best Halloween Movies for Kids
- How to Make a Spider for Halloween
- 20 Fun Non-Candy Halloween Treat Ideas
- 25 Frugal Halloween Craft and Game Ideas
- How to Make a Crayon Costume (Cost only $5)
- FREE Halloween Keep Calm Printables
- 20 Fun and Free Halloween Printables
- 15 Halloween Party Appetizers
- 15 DIY Halloween Wreath Ideas
- How to Decorate a Pumpkin Without Carving it