Learn how to make glue and save a ton of money on your craft projects. It is so easy to make homemade glue and only takes a few minutes.
However we don’t always have enough glue on hand for some of our craft projects. When we are elbow deep in a project with some sweet kiddos, it is such a hassle to run out to the store just to grab a bottle of glue.
I ventured out to learn how to make glue and it is really easy. Plus, buying glue at the store all the time really adds up. If you do as much crafting as we do, it does not take long for it all to add up.
Why we love this homemade glue:
- You will love how much money you save. It is much cheaper than store bought products from glue manufacturers.
- It is really easy to make. It is not hard at all and only takes a few minutes to make.
- Only 2 ingredients needed. It is the easiest project ever.
How is glue made?
Originally, glue was made with collagen from animal parts such as skin and bones. The collagen was converted to animal glues and then extracted for use.
Currently, white glues are all chemical based. These synthetic adhesives are made without animal products. Synthetic glues are most commonly found on shelves today.
We are going to show you an easy homemade version that is effortless. It only involved 2 ingredients and very little time.
Ingredients for Homemade Glue:
- ½ Cup Flour
- ⅓ Cup Warm Water
How to make homemade glue:
1. Get out a bowl to combine ingredients. Grab a medium sized mixing bowl and pour in your flour.
2. Mix water into the flour. Now pour in your warm water (not hot water) and start stirring to combine the ingredients together. Stir until your mixture is nice and smooth.
3. Store until ready to use. Store in an airtight container.
4. Use for projects. When ready to use, just dip your paintbrush into the glue and use it on paper, woods, metals and anything else.
How to store Homemade Glue:
It should be stored inside an airtight container. You might already have something at home or you can order a storage container.
How long will homemade glue last?
This will last about 1 to 2 days on the counter. However, you can refrigerate it to extend the shelf life to 1 to 2 weeks.
We normally refrigerate ours so it lasts longer and is readily available for crafting and DIY projects.
You will love this homemade glue!
It will work for all types of craft projects!
The kids just love this fun project. Even if you have glue laying around the house – try making your own with the kids.
They will love it and their next craft project will be much more special since they even made the glue! My kids were amazed that you could make glue at home.
We had so much fun making this together that we plan to make it at home now. We had a blast making various projects with it.
Let the DIY projects begin. We are all about simple and it does not get any easier than 2 ingredients!
What projects can I use homemade glue for?
- How to make a Frozen Pinata
- Heart Suncatcher
- 20 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts for Kids
- How to make a Minecraft Pinata
- Fun and Easy Summer Crafts for Kids
- How to make Floam
Tips and Tricks:
- Just remember to use warm water (not cold water) and stir constantly in a small bowl.
- The water temperature is important as you also do not want to use boiling water. You are going to love how easy these home ingredients very cheap are to use.
- If you have heard of paper mache glue, it is a similar type of glue.
- Make sure to stir the mixture really well.
- If the glue has a thick and lump consistency, try adding baking soda. If it is too thick, try adding corn syrup.
Give it a try today.
Once you make homemade glue, you will learn just the right texture and consistency that you like. It is not hard at all and it takes hardly any time at all!
Print the instructions for how to make glue:
How to Make Glue – only 2 ingredients!
- ½ Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- Grab a medium sized mixing bowl and pour in your flour.
- Now pour in your warm water and start stirring to combine the ingredients together. Stir until your mixture is nice and smooth.
- Store in an airtight container. I already had mine in my house, but our storage container is a lot like these on amazon.
- When ready to use just dip your paintbrush into the glue and use it on paper, woods, metals and anything else. Be sure to store your left overs in the fridge until next use.