Valentine’s Day Craft
We have such a fun Valentine Craft for kids! They will have a blast making this heart suncatcher. Plus, it doubles as decorations so you will be set! These will be perfect for your windows or glass doors. Kid’s will have so much fun with these cool suncatchers.
We always have so many broken crayons around here and I’ve learned to save them for crafts like this. The end result are these shiny and sparkly hearts. So pretty!
Valentine Craft for Kids
It’s so fun to do crafts to keep the kids busy plus they provide lasting memories! However, it can get expensive. I love this heart suncatcher craft because it’s really cheap to make. Most of these items you already have around the house. If not, they are pretty inexpensive so a win-win in my book 🙂 You will definitely want to pick up some wax paper if you don’t have much at home. It’s the foundation for these little suncatchers.
Let’s learn how to make a heart suncatcher!
You might also like to make this Easy Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids! So Cute !
Directions to make Heart Suncatcher:
1. Place several sheet of news paper onto a flat surface. Place wax paper on top of news paper. Use a utility knife or pencil sharpener to add pieces of crayon to the wax paper.
Note: My crayons didn’t fit into my pencil sharpener, so I scraped a little crayon wax onto the wax paper with a utility knife. The crayon was now small enough to fit into the pencil sharpener, I sharpened the crayons and added the flakes to the wax paper. If you have an old crayon sharpener that would work great, or a pencil sharpener that has a larger hole.
2. Place another piece of wax paper on top of the crayon shavings. Next, place several pieces of news paper onto the top of the wax paper. Get your hot iron and place onto the news paper and press firmly to melt crayon wax and adhere the two sheets of wax paper together. It won’t take long, 20-30 seconds until it’s melted. Remove the top layer of news paper and make sure the two pieces of wax paper are melted together and the crayon wax is completely melted. Let set for a minute to cool on a flat surface.
3. Depending on the size of the heart you want, fold a piece of construction paper in half and in half again. Cut out a half heart shape on the fold. Cut the center of the heart out making sure you have about 3/4″-1″ outline. Open the folded paper so you have two hearts.
4. Place 1 heart onto the wax paper and trace it with a permanent marker. Cut out the heart, making sure you are at least 0.25″ inside of the outline.
5. Place one construction paper heart onto a flat surface and add white glue to the paper. Next, place the wax paper sun catcher onto the heart and glue it together. Get a piece of string and place into the center of the heart and attach with white glue. Add the second heart on top to cover the edges and secure with white glue, making sure to seal the string in between the two pieces.
6. Repeat for the desired number of hearts.
7. Cut out several smaller hearts and affix them to the front and back of the sun catchers as desired.
8. Hang and enjoy!
Don’t you just love this cute Valentine Craft for kids?
These are so pretty. All the pink and red look so festive. The sun is going to be gorgeous coming thru these. What a perfect way to brighten a dreary winter day.
So, gather your supplies and surprise the kids with this fun activity. They might even want to make it an annual tradition. So fun!
Now that you know how to make a heart suncatcher, the kids can make these every year!
Start saving those old crayons. This craft is so fun and I love that it uses so many items that you likely already have. You might even want to have a craft day and make Valentine’s Day Slime too! 🙂 The kids will think you are the best!