My kids love to get creative and they absolutely love Playdough. I love allowing my kids to be creative and help out in the kitchen and this week we tackled this Homemade Playdough recipe. The process of mixing the playdough is super simple and adding the color is so fun for the little ones. Kids get the hands on experience of watching liquid turn into dough in a total of 5 minutes tops and can start playing with it within minutes of cooling. Best of all your kids can choose the color they want.
I thought this would be a fun addition to our Homemade Christmas gifts series. The kids can make it and give it to their friends, their cousins or to each other. How great would your child feel giving a gift they made from the heart?
We whipped up some Green Homemade Playdough, but you could do any color!
How to make Homemade Playdough
- 1 Cup of Flour
- ½ Cup of Salt
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Food Coloring (optional) – here are my favorite kind
1. Grab your pan and start placing all of your ingredients in. Place the flour, salt, cream of tartar, water and vegetable oil and mix the ingredients well.
2. Place on the stove on a low temperature and continue to stir until the sides start un sticking from the pan.
3. Now is the time to add in your food coloring, and I added in about 15 drops because I wanted my playdough to be really green.
4. Stir all the food coloring in and wait for the liquid to turn into a dough ball (you can see in the picture, as my started forming).
5. Once the cooking process is complete just remove from the pan and lay on foil to dry for about 5 minutes.
6. After that let your kids play with it.
Kids can be so creative and can make balls, houses, fish and lots more. I brought out some heart cookie cutters and my kids had so much fun making green hearts out of the fresh playdough. Now I made this for St Patricks Day for the kids, but you can make this for any holiday or any occasion.
In fact, I made these cute printable labels for you, so if you want to make them into gifts, you can add an adorable label. You can download the printable here.
I hope your kids enjoy this FRUGAL craft as much as mine have. 🙂
Make sure you check out a few of our other frugal crafts: