Oh we love Halloween, but costumes are so expensive! I thought I would share with you how to make a Crayon Costume for just about $5 each! That is WAY cheaper than a costume that is going to cost you anywhere form $20 to $30 each! Since we have 4 kids, we try to keep it fun but we don’t want to spend a fortune either!
How to Make a Crayon Costume
What you will need:
- Birthday party hat (for the cone on the head)
- Felt in one color : 1 -2 yards depending how big your kid is
- Felt in black
- Fabric glue
How to make:
- Measure your child from the shoulder down to about the knees of the child. Double that measurement and cut your colored felt to that length. Fold in half. The folded side is now the top of your outfit.
- Cut out a triangle in the top for your head.
- Run a stream of fabric or hot glue down the sides to glue the pieces together. (leave the top unglued – about 12 inches so you have arm holes)
- Fold inside out so your glue seam is inside.
- Use the remaining colored fabric to cover the birthday party hat.
- Now take the black fabric and cut out 2 rectangles the width of the costume. Cut your rectangle in half length wise with a squiggle. Glue them to the top and bottom leaving a space bewteen the cut rectangles so you can see some color showing through (see picture above).
- Then cut out a BIG oval to glue on the front of the Crayon.
- I then cut out the Letters C-R-A-Y-O-L-A in the colored felt and glued them on the black oval.
It is that easy!
You can totally sew these if you want to, but you don’t have to!! All you need is some glue, scissors, and felt and you have a costume ready to wear in under an hour!
If you are wondering if this a good deal – on Amazon Crayon costumes range from $12 (on sale) to $27.
Remember, Halloween can still be fun without costing you a fortune! The fun thing about this costume is that everyone in the family can be a different color!
Check out my other posts to help you save money here on our frugal living page.