We love Halloween but costumes are so expensive. Learn how to make a Crayon Costume for about $5 each.
Homemade Crayon Costume
That is much more inexpensive than other Halloween costumes that range from $20 to $30 each! Since we have 4 kids, we try to keep it fun but we don’t want to spend a fortune either.
The cost of costumes can add up so quickly and this is a great way to keep things within the budget.
Tips for Crayon Costume:
You will need a glue gun and glue sticks for this project. I recommend having an extra bag of glue sticks.
How to make a crayon hat
It is so easy using a birthday hat. We cover this in felt to coordinate with the crayon costume. It is very simple to create.
Supplies needed for Crayon costume DIY:
- Birthday party hat (for the cone on the head that will be the crayon hat)
- Felt in one color : 1 -2 yards depending how big your kid is
- black felt
- Fabric glue or hot glue
How to make Crayola Crayon Costume:
- Start with measurements. Measure your child from the shoulder down to the knees of the child. Double that measurement and cut your colored felt to that length.
Fold in half. The folded side is now the top of your outfit.
- Cut out a triangle in the top. This is for your head.
- Glue pieces together. Run a stream of fabric or hot glue down the sides to glue the pieces together. Be careful to leave the top unglued. This should be approximately 12 inches so you have arm holes.
- Fold inside out. This is so your glue seam is inside.
- Cover the hat. Use the remaining colored fabric to cover the birthday party hat.
- Now take strip of black fabric. Cut out 2 rectangles the width of the costume. Cut your rectangle in half length wise with a squiggle. Glue them to the top and bottom leaving a space between the cut rectangles so you can see some color showing through.
- Cut out a BIG oval. Then glue on the front of the Crayon.
- Cut out the Letters C-R-A-Y-O-L-A in the colored felt. Glue them on the black oval.
Crayola crayons are so fun.
This diy crayon costume is adorable!
It is perfect for younger children as well as adults. Now that you have this crayon hat template, it’s effortless to make one for the entire family.
I think it would be so fun to have an entire family of crayons! Get everyone involved for an adorable family costume.
All you need is glue, scissors, and felt. You have a costume ready to wear in under an hour.
It really is so simple and takes very little time to put together. Let each child choose what color they want to be.
It is so fun and saves a lot of money. You are definitely getting a great deal only spending $5. That is incredibly frugal and kids can choose their own crayon color.
What kind of fabric glue did you use?
This is my favorite glue. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00178QSE6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00178QSE6&linkCode=as2&tag=coupclos-20
You’re post inspired me and my famiy debuted our costumes tonight. I wish I could post a pic, bc they came out pretty darn good. Thanks so much!!!!
Awesome Rachel – you can e-mail them to me at cl (at) couponcloset.net