I am so excited to share with you this EASY DIY project that you can throw together for Thanksgiving or for your fall decorations.
How to Make Burlap Placemats
These beautiful placemats are simple to make but bring maximum impact to your table. Be it a midweek family dinner or your big Thanksgiving feast, I think you will love these easy to make burlap placemats. I chose to make mine with stamped with phrases I wanted us to reflect on this fall season, but you can personalize them for each person, use your family name, a monogram on each, or just stamp a pretty pattern. Keep it simple with black paint or use a variety of colors to brighten up the table. The possibilities are endless.
- burlap fabric by the yard – you can even buy it on Amazon now
- foam stamps
- acrylic paint and small brush
- sewing machine and thread
- iron and water bottle
How to make Burlap Placemats easily:
- Cut 12”x18” rectangles from burlap – a little trick I learned from the lady at the cutting counter is to pull a string completely out of burlap right at the measurement line. This creates a small but obvious gap for you to cut along and makes cutting a straight line much easier.
- Sew a ¼” seam around each placemat, then pull off the threads on the outside of the seam to fray slightly- the seam will keep it from unraveling any further.
- Thick foam stamps are best for stamping on burlap. Lay paper behind your placemat to protect surface as it will run through.
- Use a paintbrush to coat stamp with and even, solid coat of paint, press firmly into burlap and remove by lifting straight up.
- Allow paint to dry for at least 2 hours.
- Flip placemats over and spray lightly with water and iron using steam setting to press out all wrinkles and creases – the heat will also help set your paint.
The finished project!
We made these super cute burlap placemats with very few items and with very little effort. In fact, the kids even helped.
We have over 20 easy DIY Farmhouse decor ideas that are gorgeous and sure to look great in your home. These DIY Farmhouse Decor ideas are budget friendly and easy to create.
What sayings will you add to your placemats?
This easy burlap wreath is very simple to make and turns out gorgeous for less than $15!