Today we are starting a new series – 12 Days of Homemade Christmas Ornaments. All these fun Homemade Christmas ornaments will be easy to make, could make a fun teacher gift idea, and the kids can get involved.
This year, instead of buying an expensive ornament try making one instead. Today we are going to show you how to make this Twine wrapped Wreath ornament that is made with the ring from a mason jar lid. I know many of you extra of those mason lids laying around.
Simple and rustic ornaments can dress up a country Christmas tree or add whimsy to a slightly more formal one. What is more rustic than mason jar lids, twine, and buttons? Add a pretty wired ribbon bow to match your decor. Don’t just stop at the tree add one of these to a gift wrapped in brown paper with a twine ribbon to make it rival the prettiest of department store wrapped packages.
Here is what you need:
- Mason jar rings
- small buttons
- wired ribbon
- hot glue gun/glue
- Glue one end of twine to backside of mason jar ring, hold down until completely cool.
- Wrap twine around ring, and continue wrapping until it is covered, every so often push twine hardened ( I use a craft stick to keep my fingers off of it) together to make sure it is tight and all metal is covered.
- Cut off the end and tuck it under, secure with hot glue.
- Tie on a twine loop for a hanger.
- Loop a 6” piece of wired ribbon into a bow, glue at the top of your “wreath” covering hanger.
- Use fray stop on the ends to keep them from unraveling or a very light singe with a lighter will work as well.
- Glue on buttons for “berries” to your wreath for a final finishing touch.
Total Cost for this project:
This ornament was actually free, because I had everything laying around already. Even if you had to buy some stuff, it would be around $1 to make – that is it!
If you are looking for some clever (and easy) ornaments that you can make on your own, we’ve rounded up over 30 Easy Homemade Christmas Ornaments.
Do you like making Homemade Christmas Ornaments?
Stay tuned tomorrow for another fun Homemade Christmas ornament. 🙂