Using makeup products on a daily basis can make your makeup brushes very dirty. Dirty brushes can carry bacteria that you really don’t want on your face and I recommend deep cleaning your makeup brushes at least once a week. If you are hard pressed on time, then make sure you do it at least once a month. I know that I am not very good about doing this, even thought I know I need to be. 🙂 I just had to share this with our house cleaning tips and tricks series.
Now before we get started, if you don’t have a good set of make up brushes I highly recommend this Kabuki Make up brush set.
It is very inexpensive and they are great. They will hold up well and they have great reviews. There are even more on sale here too if you want to look.
Ok back to cleaning. Today I’m going to show you how to easily and effectively clean your makeup brushes.
What you need:
- Shallow Bowl filled with warm water
- Dirty Makeup brushes
- Baby Shampoo (any kind will do, but we like Johnson’s baby shampoo)
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
1. Fill your shallow bowl up with warm water and set on a flat surface.
2. Apply a little bit of baby shampoo to the water and stir it up with a bowl.
3. Grab your dirty makeup brush and just dip into the water surface enough to cover the dirty part. You never want to submerge your entire brush in water as it will loosen and damage the bristles.
4. Now using the palm of your hand apply a little bit of baby shampoo and hold over your bowl of water. Take you brush and gently create circle motions until the brush is clean. Feel free to dip back in the water and continue to clean in the palm of your hands.
5. Now head over to your sink and run your brush until clean, warm water and rinse off your hand.
6. Grab your towel and gently squeeze out all of the water and reshape the brush bristles.
7. Lay out to dry over night. Repeat these steps for the rest of your makeup brushes.
It is THAT easy!
Learn how to make makeup remover wipes in just a few easy steps!
Here are some more frugal cleaning tips:
- How to Clean a Dry Erase Board without harsh chemicals
- How to Clean Shower Head in one easy step
- How to Clean Car Mats in 3 easy steps
- How to Clean Kitchen Sponge in one easy step