Learn how to make slime for kids that is calming for a great sensory activity. You only need a few simple ingredients for this homemade slime recipe.
Slime for Kids
We love doing crafts around here and we had a blast learning how to make slime for kids that is calming. You can always find us coming up with something new.
Glitter Slime was such a hit that I thought I would try DIY Calming Slime. This is perfect for kids with anxiety or anyone that needs a moment to calm down.
My kids enjoy making and playing with slime.
Not only is the slime calming but it smells amazing too. It is an easy sensory activity and kids will enjoy kneading the slime.
Let’s make this kids slime recipe.
The process of playing with slime is surprisingly calming. Just simply playing with it is extremely soothing and calming.
I really think you are going to love it. It might help de-stress you too after a long day at work. You might be surprised how calming it is to play with slime.
The slime ingredients are really simple. You don’t need saline solution, boric acid, contact lens solution, baking soda or even shaving cream. This easy to make slime with glue and water and starch is effortless.
Let’s learn how to make slime easy for kids.
Slime with liquid starch is one of the easiest slimes to make.
Ingredients for DIY Slime Recipe:
How to make slime easily
- Step 1. First, add water, white glue, 4 drops of essential oils, and food coloring to a mixing bowl.
- Step 2. Mix well until glue is dissolved and water is completely blue and smooth.
- Step 3. Stir in liquid starch and the slime will begin to turn.
- Step 4. Continue to stir until completely mixed and has a smooth texture.
- Step 5. Remove from bowl and knead a bit if the slime is too sticky.
- Step 6. Store the slime. Store in an airtight container
How to store this quick slime recipe:
I buy a big pack of containers on Amazon for our slime. These are really good containers. If your kids might like to give some to friends, these containers will also be super handy!
I also like to store the slime in a mason jar or ziploc baggie to keep it fresh. You can use what you prefer or already have.
How long will homemade slime last?
Homemade slime typically lasts up to 2 weeks as long as it is stored properly. It needs to be kept inside an airtight container for it to last the longest.
It will also last longer if it is kept clean. Always wash your hands before playing with the slime.
If you noticed any mold or abnormalities on the slime, toss it out and make a new batch.
What does liquid starch do in slime?
Liquid starch is a slime activator and helps to bind the ingredients together. The ions in the starch combine with the glue to produce stretchy slime.
This is the perfect slime recipe to make if you do not want to use boric acid with your children.
Liquid starch is found with the laundry products at the grocery store.
Variations to homemade slime
- Essential oil. I used Lavender essential oils, but you could also use Stress away or peace and calming. You can see my favorite oils I use the most.
- Food Coloring. We used blue but you can use any color you prefer.
- Glitter. Feel free to add mix-ins to the slime. Glitter is so much fun and you can use any color. Just add it to the glue before adding the liquid starch.
Tips and Tricks:
- Learn how to make your slime turn out perfectly every time with the Best Slime Activators.
- You can also find out all of the best slime supplies.
- Learn How to get Slime out of Clothes in a few easy steps.
- Make sure to wash your hands after playing with the slime. Some of the ingredients might cause irritation to sensitive skin.
- Name brand glue, such as Elmer’s, works the best. Generic formulas of glue don’t turn out as well.
- The slime may need to be kneaded for 2 to 3 minutes to form the right consistency. The ingredients need time for the chemical reaction to occur.
- Slime that is too sticky may need extra liquid starch. Start by adding 1 tablespoon at a time until it is the desired consistency and no longer sticky.
Print the instructions for this kids slime recipe:
How to Make Slime
- 1/2 cup white glue
- 1/2 cup warm water
- blue food coloring
- 1/2 cup liquid starch
- Lavender essential oil
- First, add water, white glue, 4 drops of essential oils, and food coloring to a mixing bowl.
- Mix well until glue is dissolved and water is completely blue and smooth.
- Stir in liquid starch and the slime will begin to turn.
- Continue to stir until completely mixed and has a smooth texture.
- Remove from bowl and knead a bit if necessary.
- Enjoy! Store in an airtight container